Farm Health and Safety Considerations for COVID-19 (April 17)
Please join the NC Agromedicine Institute, NCDOL – Ag Safety & Health
Program, and NCDHHS – Farmworker Health Program for an important
webinar addressing health and safety issues for farmers and their workers
during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The webinar will be limited to one hour, allowing time at the end to answer questions. Here are the topics for discussion:
NC Farmworker Health Program-DHHS
- Emphasize how important the DHHS guidance is, especially having a COVID-19 preparedness plan
- Encourage social distancing as much possible with sleeping quarters, transporting workers, working in the field, etc.
- Establish daily monitoring of COVID-19 symptoms among the workers to identify a case quickly to contain an outbreak
- Discuss the important role of outreach workers and how they can help growers keep their workers safe and healthy
- Discuss the importance of getting H2A workers enrolled in affordable health insurance through the marketplace upon arrival and before they get sick. Discuss where they can call to get assistance to enroll.
- Emphasize the importance of planning ahead, being prepared, and
following DOL and DHHS guidance relative to migrant housing
- Emphasize the importance of communication with workers, local health department (per regulation) and with NCDOL
NC Agromedicine Institute
- Update on respirator medical clearance and fit testing
requirements and availability of personal protective equipment
for pesticide application and other on-farm uses
- Share information on grower surveys to determine needs for cleaning, sanitation, personal protective equipment and other supplies
- Share healthcare/insurance options for families/individuals that have lost insurance coverage due to layoffs
- Share farm stress resources
This will be a lot to cover in an hour, but we will provide contact information so folks can get in touch with us afterwards if they do not have their questions answered or have other concerns arise.
Friday, April 17, 2020
11 a.m. to noon
Meeting number (access code): 478 206 062
Meeting password: 041720
Questions? Call Robin Tutor Marcom at 919.880.4225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This message was provided by the NC Agromedicine Institute, a collaboration of East Carolina, NC State and N.C. Agricultural and Technical State universities. The institute is dedicated to identifying and addressing the health and safety risks of farmers, foresters, fishermen and their families and communities in North Carolina.